Wednesday, August 19

Tattoos?

Just so we are all clear before I even start this subject. I am completely 100% neutral on this point. This is mostly just for discussion...I currently have no plans in any direction.

Lately, I've been wondering about getting a tattoo (which from here on out with always be referred to as a tat cuz tattoo takes too long to type for me.)

OK, so I've done some research on Biblical reasoning for tats. Well, I'm not really convinced by that. In Leviticus there's a passage that says not to pierce your body or to ink it, basically. Well also in that passage it says not to cut hair or shave beards. Well, looks like none of us are living by that.

Paul also says our body is a temple. Well, that could mean a ton of things including taking it easy on the caffeine and running a marathon every day. OK, well, now I don't really know where to go.

I do think that there is a spiritual side to all of this. Any time we do something permanently to our bodies I would hope that we are thinking about it and praying about it. So let's talk the pros and cons of tats.

Pros: They can look really cool when we get them. It can be meaningful when the right image, word, or phrase is inked in. It is artistic expression.

Cons: They can look really ugly when we're old and/or fat. We can decide that we don't want it later - it is permanent you know. They can be see as a bad thing in some circles. They can be addicting and it can be very easy to go past any stage of moderation (whoever decides what moderation is anyway.) They are expensive. Oh yeah, did I mention that it's permanent?

OK, so here's my conclusion for the day. I still don't know if it is morally right or wrong. But if you get a tat then good for you. I just hope it's something meaningful to you and I hope it looks good. 

For me, I have decided that if I can even find an image or something that I would want on my body permanently and I have it picked out. Well, if I want it two years later, then we'll see about that.

Just remember, what mama don't know won't hurt her.

What are your thoughts? Did I leave out any pros or cons? Do any of you have any regrets on getting or not getting a tat?

No comments: