Tuesday, July 21

Who am I? Who are you?

I have been asked countless times in the past couple months "how are you doing?" Well....let me see....if one truly wants an answer a) I am not sure that you have the time b) I am not sure that you can handle it. So in short I say I am doing as well as one can. That is the truth. But let me ask you a question ---

If someone took away all that you were then who would you be?

Being a youth pastor meant everything to me. I loved it. There were things I didn't like, but I loved my job as a whole. In fact, now that I look back I see all the things I wish I would have done better and how I would have done it. But I loved ministry. It has now been taken away from me. The thing that began to define my life and the thing that I wanted to define my life was taken. Being in youth ministry was EVERYTHING to me!

Who am I now?

This is the question that I cannot answer or do not want to answer. Who am I now? The one thing in life that I looked forward to and wanted to do since I was 13 is now gone. The one thing that I trained myself for and prepared myself for is gone. The thing I dreamed about at night and the thing that got me up in the morning is gone. My life, my passion, my hopes, my dreams, my future, my career, my income, my joy, my hope is now gone. My identity has been stolen...who am I now?

What is your identity? What would you do if you lost your greatest passion?


1 comment:

Greg said...

Matt there is a lot of "I" in your post's about what has defined you, and what your life has been about. Shouldn't it start, continue, and reflect God first?

I think I am going to work through this transition with you. So that I can learn to become a better Christian as well. I am not saying your not a great Christian. Your one of my best friends you know that.