Wednesday, July 29

Communication Styles

I am a public speaker. I try to learn more and more about how to communicate effectively. Today I want to look at two people.

Jesus. Short, sweet, to the point. Didn't butter up a crowd. Didn't warm them up with jokes. Didn't spoon feed people. Just showed compassion to the nonreligious crowd. Healed some, gave words of life and wisdom. Ripped the religious apart. Short and sweet. Longest sermon was the Sermon on the Mount which is just a few short chapters. Changed the world.

Paul. Admits himself in 2 Corinthians that he's boring. Long, monotonous, but to the point. Great at explaining things. But boring. His sentences wouldn't have gotten him through high school composition. Every sentence a run-on sentence in more than one way. Sucked up, beat up, then consoled. Changed the world.

How do I need to change my communication style?
How should you change yours?

No comments: