Sunday, July 26

The Good Weekend

Ironically, the last post was actually the ending of my good weekend as we do things a little out of order here. But I woke up on a Friday and took a shower. I know, I know...this obviously was something new in my life that if continued will change my life forever.

Anyway, it seems some of my best times with God are in the shower. Now, let me mention that my prayer life up to this point was not strong by any means. I didn't know what to say, what to pray for, or what to do. I was just lost when it came to prayer. It's not that I didn't want to and it's not that I was mad at God, I just felt so lost in life that I didn't even know what to do in prayer.

OK, back to the prayer. I can't tell you anything that was said or heard one way or another. It wasn't long, it was substantially powerful or passionate. But I got to a point where I wanted to ask God for something, I don't even remember what. I'm sure it had something to do with His help in my position in life. I was about to ask the question and stopped. Then I told God that I didn't feel that I deserved to ask that from Him.

I think the planet stopped revolving around the sun for two seconds. It felt that God dropped everything He was doing and stopped all of time for me. It was like I saw His face as it dropped in confusion and disbelief to my statement. Then God smiled and even chuckled as He said, "Matt, you have never deserved anything. That's not what I'm about. Do you remember grace? Maybe now you understand it?"

I stopped in my tracks. I forgot to breathe. I felt a feeling I hadn't felt in weeks. I smiled. I cried. I thanked God for His grace. I was amazed. Then I was reminded that when God tells us something it is something we will never forget.

Then the next day I found myself in the shower and having a very similar prayer. I didn't know what to pray about. Then I began to ask God for help again and stopped myself. This time I stopped myself midsentence as I began to tell God I wasn't worthy to ask the question and God laughed again. He said "My grace is all you need."

I spent quite of bit of time in the Bible over this weekend. I read 2 Corinthians and I've been reading John. God has pointed out so much stuff to me. He has begun to change my views on God and church and life and Christianity. 

When is the last time you had a weekend that was good and you and God just clicked?
When has God given you one small statement or question that has changed your life?

No comments: