Tuesday, July 28

On the Outside

I have not truly been a part of a church now since April. I love my new church Timberline Church in Fort Collins, CO www.timberlinechurch.org. But I can't say that I am a part of the church yet. I'm not really in place to volunteer and provide any help or service in any way, even though I would love to. I am leaving a position where I was in on almost every large decision in the church. I have interned in two different churches and been a huge part of at least one area of a church for over the past decade.

Now, I don't work in a church and I don't volunteer in a church. I simply attend. It's been nice but I can't wait to be a part of a church again. I really can't wait to be employed by a church again.

But there is something I've noticed being on the outside looking in. I've always played the "church game." Now I'm not. Lately God has spoken to me about grace and freedom and what that looks like. I have heard for years and years complaints about the church. The church is judgmental and condescending. I love God but hate church. People in church are mean and cruel. Church/Christianity is all about  dos and do nots. Now that I am on the outside, I can agree with something. There is validity in all that these people have said.

I now have experienced others being judgmental against me. I now see how the church is full of religious people who think there are better than others and "preach" at what others can and cannot do. 

I've been reading John lately and a few things stand out to me. One, Jesus was ALWAYS kind and generous toward common people. Jesus ALWAYS was judgmental and harsh toward the religious. Hm, where does that leave us? The religious are the ones that are in church and think they have things figured out, right? Wrong. Those are the ones that Jesus tore apart in his conversations and statements.

Also, who do we think we are to judge? We look at a person and we say that because of what they do and what they say and how they look tells us enough of how good of a Christian they are. Well, let me tell all of the "religious" out there. In the last couple months I have acted more "sinfully" then I ever did as a pastor yet I feel more freedom, grace, and love. Remember a few posts ago I told God that I didn't deserve to ask Him to help? He responded as telling me that I never did and I never will. 

When Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was what did Jesus say? 1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, strength. 2) Love your neighbor as yourself.

Enough said.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: