Tuesday, June 3

The Will of God...

One of my favorite things to talk to graduating students, college students, and beyond is this topic. We just did our graduation ceremony for all of our high school graduates and this is one of the questions that really starts to be asked a lot. Not just in high school graduation, of course, but that is today's focus.

It usually looks like this:

"What is the will of God for my life?" "I want to find God's will for me!"

This kind of make me laugh. The truth is God probably has many things for you to do. I think it is ridiculous to try to figure this out at 18 or even at 30 for all I know. I think God changes us as we grow older and uses our experiences to catapult us to something new. I would suggest changing the question to: "What do I want to do with my life right now?"

But, if you refuse to change the question than ask yourself this: "What do you love so much that it makes you upset?" I think that is a good place to start. God has placed a dream and a desire in you. Many of us have one or two dreams. Others of us have scores of dreams. The trick is to decide which one to tackle first.

More on this later...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note Matt. I look forward to reading your blog. It should help to make me think everyday.

Erick

Matt DeSmidt said...

Thanks Erick. You make me feel special.

Anonymous said...

You are so right about asking what God wants in our life. We should ask what we want. I like that someone else is asking that question and that I am not alone.
Keep writing and I will keep reading.