Tuesday, June 24

Rebelliousness (2 of 5)

Lately, I have enjoyed a freedom that I have not had for a long time. I like it. I really enjoy it. I plan on keeping it.

I don't know if this is because of some form of "rebelliousness" or what, but I do know that I am closer to God than ever and that I am living in freedom and joy that I have not had before.

In life, everyone else is an expert on your life and what you should do or so or whatever. But, it seems that nobody is an expert in their own life. We all grow and change over time, even simply hours. In that, some of the growth is us. Some is mentors/family. Some is peers. Some of it is God. This is great. It needs to continue.

But, if I began to do everything that others think I should do just because it has worked for them and that God has told them to do such, then that is great. But that does not mean it should be the same for me, right? For instance, there is an alcoholic and a non-alcoholic sitting next to one another. Now, if the alcoholic has a sip of alcohol then that individual may have just opened Pandora's box in his/her own life. If the non-alcoholic takes a sip, it may turn out to be just that - a sip. If the non-alcoholic takes a sip and influences the alcoholic, then we have issues there too.

Now, I am not making a theological statement one way or the other about the drinking vs. abstinence of alcohol right now. It just happened to be the best example for this. I think that scenario becomes obvious as to what each individual should do in that scenario. But if the scenario turns out to be two non-alcoholics, what should happen then? What if the non-alcoholic (who is of age I feel I should strongly emphasize) is alone? What is permitted then?

Paul says it perfectly in Romans 14. Also in 1 Corinthians 10:23 where he says, "everything is permission - but not everything is beneficial or constructive." Again, it comes back to where is your heart in your attitude of rebelliousness?

No comments: