Wednesday, July 20

Camp

Last week I had the privilege to speak at Covenant Heights Camp in Estes Park, CO. I have always, since age 13 or so, wanted to speak at a camp but never thought I would have the opportunity. Those speakers were so polished and good, well some not so good, that I didn't think I would ever be in that class. I still don't know that I am but I never thought I'd get the chance at 28 to do a camp. It was amazing!!

If you have never had the opportunity to go to camp as a speaker then you are missing out! Open and flexible schedule every day! Hang out with the campers...when you want to! And then lead campers (7-10th grade in my case) to connect with God in a real and powerful way!

When asked to speak, as random as it was, I knew that a huge part of the camp experience is the music/band. So I asked some friends of mine, the worship band Sanctified, if they wanted to join the adventure and they graciously said yes. They were PHENOMENAL!! Like me it was their first camp as well. We saw God do some amazing things. We saw some campers do some amazing things! And we saw a counselor live out the gospel in the most real and relevant way imaginable!

If nothing else, this experience has renewed my desire for youth ministry, really ministry in general. It reminded me of God's call on my life. It also gave me the opportunity to speak, for real, for the first time in over two years! This experience even made me start thinking about doing more camps and how I might need to let that be known - so it's now written on a blog for the world to see, even though I am fairly confident that no one will read it.

1 comment:

Shane said...

I read it Matt. :) A few years late, but I read it.